Call us
(586) 954-9500

The Divorce Attorney Journal

You don't have to lose your children, your money or your assets in a Michigan divorce.

    Free consultation

    Divorce Attorney Journal

    2 weeksago
    There is such a thing as a good divorce – and there is also the opposite. You want to be in the crowd that’s successful at changing your life, and that begins by creating your own luck. Retain a qualified and experienced Michigan divorce attorney...
    2 monthsago
    When a marriage ends, there can be a lot of soul searching about why – even if the answer is obvious – and what can be done differently in the future to make love last. Many people turn to love languages, depending on them to...
    July 2, 2019
    4 yearsago

    change michigan divorce settlement post-judgment action Michigan Divorce HelpYou spend months going over the terms of your divorce with your Michigan divorce lawyer, your ex, and his or her attorney to settle on the fairest split. Then, your divorce is settled and life moves on. But what if circumstances change? What if you aren’t happy with the way things shook out? What if your ex isn’t holding up their end of the bargain? It’s not too late to ask for a reset, within reason. A post-judgment action is your best course of action.

    Reasons You Can Get Your Divorce Settlement Changed

    To get the terms of your divorce judgment changed, you must file a post-judgment action. If your ex is not honoring the terms of your divorce you can petition the court to enforce your settlement. The modification of a divorce settlement is not always easy to get, but if you are truly being negatively affected by the behavior of your former spouse, it’s in your best interest to make a legal move.

    Here are some of the reasons you can file a post-judgment action to get your divorce settlement changed:

    • Your ex disobeys the terms of your divorce. She didn’t sell the house like she was supposed to. He isn’t paying the agreed-upon amount of spousal support. She didn’t pay the debt assigned to her. He didn’t liquidate certain assets. If your ex does not follow your divorce settlement to the letter, or repeatedly neglects a major tenet of your settlement, you can pick your fight.
    • There are financial changes. You lost your job. Your ex got a major promotion. If there are new facts to be considered when it comes to child support or spousal support payments, a judge will usually hear a motion. Keep in mind – the outcome may not be what you wished for. You might walk away having to pay more than you originally did, or leaving with less support than you were first granted.
    • He or she isn’t paying child support. There is such a thing as a deadbeat dad, and many custodial parents are in the position where they don’t receive child support every month from the non-custodial parent. A motion can be filed with the Friend of the Court to have child support payments enforced, or you can work with your Michigan divorce lawyer to make this happen.
    • Your kids are being negatively affected. You aren’t getting the parenting time you were promised. Your ex is exposing your kids to dangerous situations or people. If you feel your child is in harm’s way, you want sole custody and sole decision-making abilities, a post-judgment action alerts the court that you want to revisit the original terms of your divorce. The judge will always rule in the best interests of the child.

    Get Help Filing a Post-Judgment Action After Your Michigan Divorce

    Life does not remain static after divorce. There is more change than ever and what was once the right divorce settlement may no longer be adequate for both parties. Employment changes, relocation, remarriage, medical needs, education, and more can change significantly. All change isn’t bad, but it may require some adjustments to what was originally agreed upon.

    Contact a Michigan divorce lawyer for help with modifications to child custody, child support, parenting time, spousal support, and more. Find out if now is the right time to file a post-judgment action and discover your likelihood of success. Schedule your consultation with Michigan Divorce Help PLLC in Mount Clemens to talk with an experienced divorce attorney.

    What makes us the right divorce attorneys for you?

    Family Law Expertise

    Most lawyers are in a general practice and do some of everything. One of our main focuses is on Family law and being expert at divorce, custody and support matters.

    Strong Relationships

    We are in court daily, working with the family court judges, their staff and clerks, the Friend of the Court office, the Bar Association and other attorneys working in this area. We pride ourselves on fighting hard for our clients while working well with everyone.


    Our extensive experience and strong relationship with the courts and our peers leads many judges and attorneys to hire us to act as Mediators in other Family Law cases. Make no mistake; having a strong working relationship with the court can have a massive impact on your case. Unlike most attorneys, we have no fear of the court room and are in trial regularly against the best in the business. We see the judges every week and maintain strong ties with their staff.

    We Care

    Although every attorney can “handle” your case, Michigan Divorce Help cares about you and your family. We work extremely hard to keep this difficult process civil and to shelter your children from as much of the negative facets as possible.


    Once your case is concluded, we will be there to help you with any post-judgment problems that may arise.


    Everyone’s financial situation is different and we work with our clients to formulate a fee arrangement that works within your means.


    We have handled every possible situation involving domestic law. We will do everything possible to wrap up your case in a timely manner, avoiding delays that cause unnecessary legal fees.


    When your case cannot be easily solved, we will fight hard and use all of our resources to win. Unlike most attorneys, we have no fear of the court room and we regularly win cases against the best in the business at trial.

    Expert Staff

    Unlike many attorneys who have a part-time typist and work 30 hours a week, we have an expert staff available all day long to assist you and provide immediate service.

    Personal Service

    At Michigan Divorce Help, your case will be handled by an experienced family law attorney. Each of our attorneys in our family law division has many years of experience in handling family law matters.

    We encourage you to see these differences for yourself and call today to speak with one of our partners or schedule a free consultation at our office.

    During traditional business hours, please call us at: (586) 954-9500

    Michigan Divorce Attorney

    Listed on a comprehensive state-by-state divorce informational network.

    The information presented within this website is for general information purposes and is NOT and should not be considered as being “legal advice”. You should not act on any information presented herein without the verifying same with your attorney.

    Site contents ©2023 Michigan Divorce Help