You don't have to lose your children, your money or your assets in a Michigan divorce.
Text us for help
Television dramas like HBO’s Big Little Lies make it seem like a grandparent could easily petition for custody of his or her grandchildren. Real life doesn’t always get quite so grandiose, however. In Michigan, grandparents are only awarded custody of a grandchild if it is...
Christmas. Thanksgiving. Easter. Any major holidays accompanied by a significant break from school are factored into the parenting time equation in a divorce. Halloween doesn’t always get the same consideration. However, you don’t have to miss out on the fun with your kids if you...
How to Choose the Right Michigan Divorce Lawyer
You’ve already made one of the biggest and most painful decisions of your adult life – to get a divorce. Just as there are the right and wrong partners in love and business, there is the right divorce attorney too.
Because your emotions are in such a heightened state, you can be more sensitive when meeting with lawyers, or you can feel numb. Because of these extremes, keep the following tips in mind to help you logically choose the right Michigan divorce lawyer for you:
- Ask about experience: Select a Michigan divorce lawyer who specializes in family law. Divorce is not one-size-fits-all, and the right attorney respects this fact. Whether your main concern is child custody, spousal support, division of assets, or even pet custody, choose the divorce lawyer who is comfortable and experienced in all aspects of Michigan divorce law and is prepared to help you successfully settle the matters that are most important to you.
- Ask about working relationships: Part of a lawyer’s expertise includes working regularly with family court judges and their clerks and staff. Having a strong working relationship and credibility with the court plays a major role in the success of your case. You want a divorce lawyer who has a good rapport with the Friend of the Court office and other divorce attorneys and is proud of their ability to work well with their peers, colleagues, and essential players in your divorce.
- Look for empathy: There are some divorce attorneys who take all the right steps to get you where you want to be, and then there are those who take the extra step to show that they are personally invested in you and your situation. Choose the lawyer who is committed to working hard to keep your divorce as civil as possible, shelter your children from the negative aspects of this situation, and show you that they care about your unique and challenging situation.
- Find out if they really know what you want: Every divorce is not the same and your lawyer should seek to understand your wishes and not push their own agenda. You may want a bulldog in court or you may want a softer touch – you’ll get a sense of a lawyer’s personality from the start and whether it will mesh with yours, but keep in mind that you also want the lawyer with the right temperament to get you what you want in court. Look for tenacity, balanced with the ability to reflect upon and respect your divorce goals.
- Get a sense of effectiveness: Some divorce cases require more than just the support of your lawyer and his or her experienced staff – and a good divorce lawyer knows when to call in or recommend support, such as a mediator, private investigator, divorce coach, or financial expert. Every move should be done in your best interest to effectively and efficiently settle your case.
- See if you can afford them: A good divorce lawyer wants your split to be affordable for you. Every client’s financial situation is different. Seek a lawyer who uses their time wisely and is willing to work with you to formulate a fee arrangement that fits within your means. In some circumstances, this effort may include getting support from a paralegal for a lower rate and saving your divorce lawyer for the big questions and concerns. The right lawyer will also let you know when you can save money by collecting supplemental materials on your own.
- Find out what happens after the divorce: Once your divorce is settled, that doesn’t mean your split is complete. Parenting time, child support, spousal support – these matters can come to the forefront again and again. Even after your case has concluded you want a divorce lawyer who is committed to helping you with any post-judgment problems that may arise.
When all else fails, go with your gut. Sometimes you just know when you’ve found right divorce lawyer for you.
At Femminineo Attorneys, we offer all the above and more, respecting each client’s individual needs and approaching each case with fresh eyes and open mind, always keeping your divorce goals in mind. Our experienced divorce lawyers are proactive, highly respected, and a member of our staff is available to our clients 24 hours a day through our hotline at 586-854-3654.
If you have questions about a Michigan divorce, contact us to schedule your no-cost initial consultation
What makes us the right divorce attorneys for you?
Family Law Expertise
Most lawyers are in a general practice and do some of everything. One of our main focuses is on Family law and being expert at divorce, custody and support matters.
We are in court daily, working with the family court judges, their staff and clerks, the Friend of the Court office, the Bar Association and other attorneys working in this area. We pride ourselves on fighting hard for our clients while working well with everyone.
Our extensive experience and strong relationship with the courts and our peers leads many judges and attorneys to hire us to act as Mediators in other Family Law cases. Make no mistake; having a strong working relationship with the court can have a massive impact on your case. Unlike most attorneys, we have no fear of the court room and are in trial regularly against the best in the business. We see the judges every week and maintain strong ties with their staff.
Although every attorney can “handle” your case, Femminineo Attorneys cares about you and your family. We work extremely hard to keep this difficult process civil and to shelter your children from as much of the negative facets as possible.
Once your case is concluded, we will be there to help you with any post-judgment problems that may arise.
Everyone’s financial situation is different and we work with our clients to formulate a fee arrangement that works within your means.
We have handled every possible situation involving domestic law. We will do everything possible to wrap up your case in a timely manner, avoiding delays that cause unnecessary legal fees.
When your case cannot be easily solved, we will fight hard and use all of our resources to win. Unlike most attorneys, we have no fear of the court room and we regularly win cases against the best in the business at trial.
Unlike many attorneys who have a part-time typist and work 30 hours a week, we have an expert staff available all day long to assist you and provide immediate service. We are available to our clients 24 hours a day through our hot line at 586-854-3654.
At Femminineo Attorneys, your case will be handled by an experienced family law attorney. Each of our attorneys in our family law division has many years of experience in handling family law matters.
We encourage you to see these differences for yourself and call today to speak with one of our partners or schedule a free consultation at our office.
During traditional business hours, please call us at:
After hours and weekends, we are still available for you to speak to an attorney via our 24 Hour messaging center:
(586) 854 3654
Michigan Divorce Attorney
Listed on Divorcesource.com: a comprehensive state-by-state divorce informational network.
The information presented within this website is for general information purposes and is NOT and should not be considered as being “legal advice”. You should not act on any information presented herein without the verifying same with your attorney.