When your Michigan divorce is finalized, you’re left looking at the new life you are now living. This may be a time of sadness and mourning. It may also be a time of joy and excitement. Rest assured, you will feel all the feelings at some point, and you’ll have questions too about things like dating after divorce? Some people say yes, others say no, but there’s only one right answer for you.
You’re a Different Person After Divorce
According to a study done at the University of Chicago, it was found that marital breakups were 25% lower among couples who met online. Does this mean that online dating produces happier and stronger marriages? Not necessarily. There are many other reasons couples who meet online stay together:
- You’ve evolved: Some people find it difficult to change in their marriage. They feel held back by their partner or are reluctant to say what they really feel even though their beliefs or attitudes have evolved. Once single, there is no one to shush you or stop you from voicing your true feelings, and you’re more likely to be wholly honest with your new partner, for better or worse, and be honest with yourself.
- The kids are grown: Sometimes, half the battle of maintaining a happy union is managing the kids while nurturing your relationship. This involves agreeing on parenting efforts and prioritizing your coupledom even if you’re short on babysitters and energy. Couples who are divorced and now have older or grown children avoid the relationship stress that comes with raising babies and little kids with their new partner.
- You’re confident: Sure, divorce can make your self-esteem take a hit. Other people, though, feel great about themselves, ready to conquer the world, unconcerned with anyone else’s opinion about them. When you approach dating and relationships with this nonchalance, it can help you go into online dating or offline dating with great confidence.
Do Marriages from Online Dating Match-Ups Last Longer?
Online dating apps have been accused of fueling a hook-up culture, but most divorced people have a different outlook. They avoid the apps that don’t suit their personality and cravings for intimacy and love. The internet has created plenty of opportunities for singles and going through that journey together with someone who’s had the same experience can go a long way to buoying a love connection.
Just some of the benefits of online dating after divorce:
- Convenient: Online dating apps are convenient. You can use them when you want to and leave them when you don’t. It’s all on your timeline. Ignore who you’re not interested in, pursue who you like. And if you’re busy, just step away for a while and come back when you’re ready.
- Comfortable: People who are just stepping a toe in the water for the first time after many years can see who’s out there without committing to anything more than they’re comfortable with.
- Broad: There are online dating apps for people of all races and genders and ethnicities. You can search by job, income, marital history, and so much more. The options are, truly, endless.
If you have questions about Michigan divorce, contact our attorneys for a consultation.